Kimberly Servello's Embroidery Blog

Kimberly Servello - Pattern Drawer and Embroideress

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Elizabethan Holly Folly

I've been toying with an idea for using DMC's new Memory Thread.  Although it's not a bonafide Elizabethan thread or metal wire, I think it's Elizabethan in spirit.  With a piece of Memory Thread in your hand, you can't help but begin to make shapes with it.  The thread is comprised of 40% copper, 34% viscose, 23% cotton, and 3 % polyamide.  I suspect the copper is the core of the thread and provides its wonderful malleability. 


I thought it would be  fun to create a miniature holly garland with it.  In these photos I used detached button-hole stitch (in Gilt Sylke Twist thread) to make a holly leaf right on the Memory Thread, without cutting the leaf away from the remainder of the Memory Thread.  

It needs gold veining to give it a little more bling, and red berries.  You could either attach red glass beads as berries, or attempt to embroider them in Elizabethan corded brussels stitch, as outlined in Jacqui Carey's Sweet Bags.





 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....


2 comments:

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I'd love to hear from you...