Kimberly Servello's Embroidery Blog

Kimberly Servello - Pattern Drawer and Embroideress

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Elizabethan Purse : Peascods & Posies



The Peascod greene oft with no little toyle,
Hee’d seeke for in the fattest, fertl’st soile,
And rend it from the stalke to bring it to her,
And in her bosome for acceptance woo her.”
William Browne of Tavistock



This is a project I finished several years ago.  I designed this purse in preparation for travelling to Plimoth Plantation to help with the embroidery of the Plimoth Jacket, currently on display at Winterthur.  Prior to this, I had never done any non-counted Elizabethan embroidery, so I wanted to practice before I worked on the jacket.  I had just taken a class in Richmond, VA from Chris Berry thru the Embroiderers' Guild of America (EGA).

The purse is the same front and back, except for a color change or two.  All stitches used are Elizabethan period stitches.

I used Kingston 50 ct cream linen, silk buttonhole twisted threads from Au Ver a Soie and Mulberry Silks, and #5 smooth passing gold wire from Golden Threads.



The lining is a cornflower blue that matches the medium blue silk thread.


The leaf shown here is worked in Up & Down Buttonhole stitch.

Lady bug is worked in Spiral Trellis stitch.  A wonderfully fun stitch to work, and it can be padded to produce a really 3D effect.

The vine is done in Reverse Chain stitch using #5 smooth passing gold wire (real gold).  It's one of the first things that non-stitchers are drawn to on this purse.  I've been told that it looks like I laid a gold chain down on the purse and attached it.


The red caterpillar is worked in Ceylon Stitch.












Here's a photo of the peascods before the embroidery was cut off the slate frame.  You can see a bit of the peas peeping out of the pods.

The caps are Ceylon stitch, the pods are worked in Detached Buttonhole stitch.

The blue flower, Columbine, that you can see a bit of is worked in Trellis stitch worked on a diagonal.

3 comments:

  1. What did you use the twisted buttonhole thread for? I'd assume couching, but you haven't done any.

    Also, I'd love to know how to do Trellis stitch on the diagonal if you could possibly tell me.

    My e-mail is a_velvet_clawATyahooDOTcomDOTau if you'd care to answer my questions en masse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly,
    I can't stop looking at this gem ! is so beautiful !
    Can I ask you where did you get the metal part that closes the purse ( sorry don't know the name in English) and the stand ?
    Thank you,
    Francesca
    (matrix70@genie.it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special thanks to HACK VANISH, a professional hacker I’ve been hiring for the past 2 years because, I find him to be an outstanding hacker who has aided me in various hacking related issues, ranging from fixing my poor FICO credit score of about 437 TransUnion, 462 Equifax to 802 plus excellent score, tracking my cheating husband’s phone and currently has helped me recover my lost crypto funds from an online scam investment I recently ventured into, I must confess he is the best, quite brilliant, ever since I discovered him through a positive review I saw on Wallet Hub and reached out to him via Email: HACKVANISH @ GMAIL. COM, and Phone: +1(747) 293-8514, to which he responded in less than 10mins, I have never regretted working with him, he’s been quite helpful and highly efficient. I Would recommend his services to anyone without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest in my blog. I'd love to hear from you...